Saturday 22 August 2009

Don't look back, like Bobby Dylan in the movies

So I've heard these thirty second clips that have been released of Muse's new album, The Resistance... Wow. Erm, I can't say that it didn't 'surprise' me, but what a complete load of utter awfulness! Yes yes I know, I can't judge the whole thing having heard just two songs and the rest in thirty second snippets, but considering this is an attempt to promote the album, surely this is the gist of their new sound? If this is what they become recognised for, then I feel almost embarrassed to own some of their music. It seems that Muse are either trying to be what they're not (electro-pop superstars), or taking their traditional sound so far that they're butchering it to the point of self-parody. I didn't intend to review an album I have yet to hear in full, and having got a brief session of whining out of my system, I will move on to more important things.

One of my absolute favourite bands in modern music, Belle & Sebastian, had released If You're Feeling Sinister: Live At The Barbican back in 2005. It was only available for digital download mind, and I had yet to take in the joy of Belle & Sebastian's attempt to recreate their most critically acclaimed album to date, with horns and a string section. Stuart Murdoch had understandably always been disappointed with the production aspects of the 1996 release of If You're Feeling Sinister, so for the first time he decided to take the opportunity to flesh out those remarkable songs he had written all those years ago. The result is a masterpiece, and one could only pray for such a thing to be recorded in-studio. I had always strangely admired the poor production of the original, as I felt the amateur sound added a more personal and delicate touch. I must admit that having heard well and improved renditions of songs such as Me and the Major and Judy and the Dream of Horses, I can see what it is that had irked Stuart Murdoch for all these years. The performances of many of these songs should perhaps be considered the definitive, however I think I'll stick with the humble original sound for songs like Seeing Other People and Like Dylan in the Movies.

On a personal note, I don't think I've mentioned in previous posts that I have, sorry - did have a donkey. Well unfortunately we had to send our farewell to ol' Bailey, and also our beloved Husky Teddy. I hope they live on happier with their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment