Saturday 1 August 2009

In seven days, God created the world. In seven seconds, I shattered mine.


So I'd heard about and seen trailers for this fairly new film starring Will Smith called 'Seven Pounds'. Having read some mixed reviews, I wasn't at all fussed about seeing it, but it wasn't until my Dad informed me that it was actually quite brilliant that I decided it was worth checking out. Fortunately, the film showed up on my Sky Box Office.

Having gotten through over an hour of the film, I had to admit to myself that I was actually with those who were critical of it. The story felt weak, the pacing seemed slow, the dialogue was rather poor and I couldn't quite find myself immersed in its narrative. I began thinking never to take my Dad's advice on what makes a good film, as we evidently have differing opinions. However, as the characters' lives seemed to merge together and the twists began to unfold, I was officially hooked on the film's plot. Will Smith's acting is as good as ever, as well as the supporting cast's such as Woody Harrelson, who's portrayal of a blind man successfully tugs at the heartstrings. On the other hand, one of the main criticisms I have for the film is the love interest played by Rosario Dawson. Her acting isn't anything shameful, but unfortunately the scripting doesn't save this character from a lack in likability. Had we really and truly cared for her as much as our protagonist does, then perhaps the film would have been a far more successful drama.

Indeed, as evident in the above landscape, the cinematography is quite superb. In fact, the overall direction of the film is a pleasant experience, so any criticisms of mine are predominantly aimed at the writers.

As I said before, the majority of the film seems a little lackluster, but the last thirty minutes or so save it from its mediocrity. It's worth a watch and I recommend doing so, but be aware that it is by no means the perfect drama. Not close.

No comments:

Post a Comment