Wednesday 26 August 2009

We're not scaremongering, this is really happening...

Apologies for the lack of effort in my previous post. It began with my eagerness to write an elaborate post, but unfortunately ended in a half-arsed ramble about Kate Bush and Sister Act. The reason for this was a conversation I was having with a friend at the same time. This 'friend' had never really taken the time to listen to Radiohead, and was asking for some advice about what material to check out before seeing them live at Leeds festival. Our conversation sparked an obsession I had long forgotten and as a result disrupted my train of thought. Let's face it, Radiohead are absolutely brilliant. If you're wondering, the songs I recommended were:

  • Creep
  • Paranoid Android
  • Karma Police
  • No Surprises
  • The National Anthem
  • Idioteque
  • 2+2=5
  • 15 Step

...among a few others that I can't quite recall. The point is, once he had asked me I could not stop myself rambling on about how brilliant Radiohead are and why Kid A is one of the most incredible things to have occurred to chart music. I still can't believe a remarkable album like that could snag the number one spot. It was of course riding on the success of OK Computer, but it's still a spectacular achievement regardless. Bloody hell, what's with my elaborate use of adjectives?

So today I've had somewhat (I honestly can't leave this word alone) of a Radiohead fest comprising of Kid A start to finish. At the moment I'm making my way through Thom Yorke's solo effort, The Eraser. If you forgive the initial disappointment of repetition which is the only problem I think this album suffers from, then it really is a fantastic achievement. My favourite tracks are undoubtedly The Clock and of course Analyse, which always reminds me of the film The Prestige. I could really sidetrack and begin to write up about how much I admire the works of Christopher Nolan (Radiohead fan and director of such films as Memento, The Prestige and The Dark Knight), but there's only so much I can talk about before boring my readers. If of course any of you exist out there. In fact, if somebody is reading this, do you mind leaving a comment so that I'm aware of a presence? It really does feel like nothing but me and my mind co-exist here, which is probably the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment