Wednesday 12 August 2009

The Soundtrack to my Life Part Deux

Moving swiftly from Sparks' Exotic Creatures of the Deep, the latest album to have taken a complete hold of me is one titled The Kick Inside, an album by the most spectacular female artist I have ever introduced myself to... Kate Bush! I regret dedicating such a small segment of my previous post to my current favourite singer/songwriter, particularly since Wuthering Heights would actually make an appropriate follow-up in The Soundtrack to my Life. So now is the opportunity to elaborate on her excellence.

First of all, what's the song about? Well it's pretty obvious if you've read or simply heard about the book of the same name. Lyrically, the concept is entirely based on this story and isn't the best choice of song from her debut LP to analyze her affectionate choice of words. On the other hand, the bizarre chord changes, the twinkling outbursts of piano and Kate Bush's surreal vocal range makes this the stand out track on the album. What fascinates me most is the level of success the song had in 1978. As a result of this unconventional commercial release, it was the first time a female artist had ever written and performed a song that reached the number one spot (unexpectedly snagging this impressive achievement from Debbie Harry). But it wasn't the song alone that grabbed my attention. I decided to type 'Kate Bush' into YouTube for the first time having discovered that many people on Last.fm with similar taste to mine were fans of her work. The first video to prop up was of course her most successful, Wuthering Heights. I was a little confused by what I saw initially, but having listened to plenty of Sparks lately I wasn't put off by the obscurity of her movements and high-pitched vocals. I then noticed that there was a second music video known as the Red Dress version. At this point, I was completely blown away - Her bold expressive movements, her mysterious physical appearance, her wondrous vocality! I loved it.

My previous post already featured the Red Dress music video, so here for your viewing pleasure is the original release shot for the UK...



I think I slightly prefer the Red Dress one, but it's still a beautiful song performed beautifully.

No comments:

Post a Comment